Friday, November 5, 2010

an archway- a beginning


 The archway that looks down on the beginning of the Chemin-

the path away from the Cathedral in Le-Puy-en-Velay

 

"It is for us to pray

not for tasks equal to our powers,

but for powers equal to our tasks,

to go forward with a great desire

forever beating at the door of our hearts

as we travel toward our distant goal."

  

~Helen Keller 

 

"Everyone" who leaves from Le Puy takes a photo of this archway

-you see almost identical photos in everyone's collections!

It marks a significant point- the start-

an exhilarating place, 

where so much is hoped for

and so much lies unknown in the future.

4 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous picture! I guess I'm not "everyone" since I missed that one. When I was at the Le Puy Cathedral for the pilgrim blessing, we had to enter (and I think exit) through a side door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I wonder why that was. I first saw this archway mid-afternoon when I was 'resting' after climbing up the steep lava-paved path that led to this entrance. But I think when I returned early morning for the pilgrim Mass and blessing, you could use any of several doors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about the doors. I just remember getting to the cathedral for the pilgrim blessing and having trouble finding my way in. Although I have to admit I was in the cathedral the day before, when all the doors were open, and I just didn't get the shot.

    Of course I am also probably the only pilgrim since the invention of photography who somehow missed getting a photo of the full Santiago Cathedral. I've got lots of pictures of people milling around in front of it and a few little cathedral detail shots, but much to my embarrassment I never actually took that all-important photo.

    I guess I'll just have to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna-Marie, sounds like a good enough excuse to me! I am already plotting my next long walks- just need to save some cash first!

    ReplyDelete